[opensource] We Need a Linux Install Fest!

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Oct 28 12:50:56 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Michael S. Yanovich
<yanovich.1 at buckeyemail.osu.edu> wrote:
> I think we should either have a Linux Install Fest on the same day as the
> Windows 7 Install Fest. We could either host this in our office, the
> computer lab in Caldwell or maybe we could try to rent a room somewhere near
> the Science and Engineering Library (the location where the Windows 7
> Install Fest is), and around the same time as the Windows 7 Install Fest
> too.

I can probably (help) reserve a room for you guys in Scott Labs, which
is right next to SEL.

> *Unfortunately our current President isn't setting a good example of using
> an "Open Source" operating system. At the moment he is currently using Mac
> Book Pro with only Mac OSX on it. :(

May I suggest that the Open Source club not adopt your sense of
elitism? In the Real World(tm), you'll be hard pressed to find any
organization that uses exclusively open source software from
end-to-end. A good computer user should use the best tool for the job.
Sometimes a closed solution is the best one for the job.

Moreover, open source software encompasses A LOT more than just
operating systems. I use Mac OSX on a MacBook Pro because it was
issued to me as part of my job. I use open source software atop the
closed source OS as much as possible; and I advocate open source
software when it's appropriate.

Cheers,
Scott