[opensource] We Need a Linux Install Fest!

Brian Swaney swaneybr at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Oct 28 14:03:23 EDT 2009

About Alek not having Linux, I really had no idea. I know he used (or
still uses, not sure) Windows 7, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have
Linux...

We really need to consider that one of the key things which sets us
apart from Microsoft (and friends) is that we are not anti-competitive.
The principles behind open source software are about freedom -- that you
can use any kind of software you feel is
appropriate/desirable/necessary. Open source is about freedom, and if we
are truly free then we have the option (ironically) to switch to a less
free operating system or other program. If we belittle or condemn use of
non-Linux operating systems, like what it appears we are doing to the
club president (now I should point out this would be different if he
were trying to /promote/ or /advocate/ Macs over Linux to the club),
then we are no different from Microsoft; or rather, some sort of
deviant, totalitarian cult. No hard feelings I'm sure, but let's not
lower ourselves to Microsoft's level.

On to the room request, I think it would be awesome (and actually funny)
if we had a room right next to where Microsoft's event is going on. If I
remember correctly (correct me if not) there are multiple adjacent
conference rooms in the basement of SEL, which is where SE070 is
located. We could even have a thing where right after installing Windows
7, you add a GRUB menu and install a second operating system right on
top of it.

For Microsoft fanboys (not me), this is in fact a holiday, by the way.
Short of Windows XP, Windows 7 is quite possibly the best operating
system ever to come from Redmond, WA.