[opensource] We Need a Linux Install Fest!

Brian Swaney swaneybr at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Oct 28 23:39:06 EDT 2009

Thanks, Paul. Yeah, I was perhaps a bit too hasty with the suggestion,
but we really do need to make sure things are working and people can get
all their files before we proceed anyway, just because we're modifying
their partition tables. Bitlocker or not, we don't want to screw up
people's filesystems, especially during classes when they likely have
papers/projects/homework/notes that aren't backed up.

Yanovich: Don't give them Fedora (stability); CentOS instead maybe, but
I personally recommend Ubuntu since it's meant to meet the standards of
a network admin, but again for said admin's grandmother (which is sort
of who Microsoft is aiming their advertisements to). In regards to CD
labels, we already have our own club branded CDs, remember?

Scott (and Paul): You can actually install Ubuntu from within Windows
(removable by Add/Remove Programs) using the Wubi gadget in the LiveCD,
so that could be an interesting way to go. Not sure how Bitlocker play
along with the Windows bootloader modifications made by Wubi. As for
other software, I am proficient in both OpenOffice (far more than the
Microsoft version) and GIMP (far more than Photoshop), so I can demo it
a little.

Just out of curiosity, what do you all think would happen if this whole
data loss thing happened while they were installing (upgrading) Windows?

-Brian Swaney