[opensource] We Need a Linux Install Fest!

Ross Litscher rlitscher at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 29 09:20:44 EDT 2009

Back in the day, we had a club event during the XP (was it XP? Circa
2001 or so) release day. We set up a table in one of the engineering
buildings I think (I don't remember the name, but it was pretty open
and had decent foot traffic), and had free CD's to hand out.

Rather than go to some closed room some distance away from the MS
event, why not set up right outside it handing out free CD's of Free
software like OpenOffice or your distro of choice? Then point people
to the "Open Source Install Fest". Coffee and snacks would help too :)

I like the idea of handing out OpenOffice, because it presents people
with a lightweight choice that they might not know existed. Gimp might
be a good one too, I know how widespread copyright violations of
photoshop is/was. Has anyone played with a MythTV distro? That could
be fun too.

-ross