[opensource] We Need a Linux Install Fest!

Paul Betts paul at paulbetts.org
Thu Oct 29 20:05:18 EDT 2009

> What I am wondering
> is, if many students are aware that they should come to the Microsoft
> Install Fest with a back up of their important files before hand because
> Microsoft can't guarantee more than we can that their files will be fine
> through the installation/upgrading.

Actually, Windows doesn't format the disk when you do a clean install,
it stuffs everything into a folder called windows.old. While it means
your  settings are lost, all of your files are still there. I'm not
sure why people still believe that clean install = disk wipe, even in
XP we wouldn't blow away people's files. The only time that happens is
if you use one of those janky OEM "restore discs", where they're too
lazy and just image the drive.

--
Paul Betts <paul at paulbetts.org>