[opensource] DD-WRT bridge and OSU wireless

Brian Swaney swaneybr at cse.ohio-state.edu
Mon Feb 22 12:14:20 EST 2010

First off, I think OIT not only doesn't support routers for things like
this, but strictly forbids them. You might get in a lot of trouble if
you try to bridge osuwireless on something like that. I know ResNet
does, but I'm pretty sure that applies everywhere. This is because your
setup puts you in a position where to effectively perform a
man-in-the-middle attack on anyone in range connecting to "osuwireless".
Unless you have explicit permission from OIT to bridge a wireless
connection with a router, I would stop right now. Also, everything said
on this mailing list is logged and publicly archived, so if something
happened, they could just see your inquiry on our website. I'm going to
give a brief explanation of what I see going wrong; what you do with it
is up to you.

As for your configuration, the biggest problem I see is you have it set
to "WPA Personal". I don't know much about DD-WRT specifically, but WPA
personal is a completely different setup from WPA enterprise, which is
what you want. Therefore, DD-WRT is asking you for all the wrong
settings. What you will want is WPA enterprise, TKIP, PEAP, and
MSCHAPv2. In those settings, you will need enter a username and
password, and probably select a certificate (authority) instead of
entering a pre-shared key (PSK). I do not know the key renewal interval
for osuwireless.

Furthermore, if you're trying to create an osuwireless SSID, OIT has
their own specific (undocumented) settings you would need to configure.
I think you will need a signed certificate for it to work, but I don't
know the specific settings as to how many certs exist per device.
Instead of trying to connect to osuwireless and share it, you'd want to
consider connecting to a wired connection like most osuwireless routers.

--
Brian Swaney