[opensource] DD-WRT bridge and OSU wireless

S James S Stapleton stapleton.41 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 22 13:06:17 EST 2010

> First off, I think OIT not only doesn't support routers for things like
> this, but strictly forbids them. You might get in a lot of trouble if you
> try to bridge osuwireless on something like that. I know ResNet
> does, but I'm pretty sure that applies everywhere. This is because your
> setup puts you in a position where to effectively perform a
> man-in-the-middle attack on anyone in range connecting to
> "osuwireless". Unless you have explicit permission from OIT to bridge a
> wireless connection with a router, I would stop right now. Also,
> everything said on this mailing list is logged and publicly
> archived, so if something happened, they could just see your inquiry on
> our website.

> I haven't looked at the OSU Wireless AUP recently, but this was my initial
> thought from your original email.  I would go with Brian's assessment.  If
> in doubt, a call to OIT to ask could save you a
> crapton of headaches before doing something that would cause them to
> suspend your wireless account (and possibly your name.n account, depending
> on what kind of mood they're in).

> If you want to explain what your end-game is, they (or we the list) might
> possibly have a different/better solution for you.

> Just a thought: generally end-user level wireless bridges like what you
> describe are used in the home for fixed installation equipment that lacks
> the ability to use a wireless NIC (ie gaming consoles,
> DVRs, etc), but have ethernet. I'm going out on a limb and say that the
> OSU wireless network is intended for mobile, low-bandwidth applications
> and clients with a WiFi NIC.  If you have something
> that you need to bridge to the wireless, you might re-consider your
> installation and find a way to put it on a real hardline.

I think I already stated my intentions in another response, but it's summed
up with: I just want to connect one notebook.

The situation, and why I wante a bridge:
1) My Wireless is dead as a doornail. I will very likely need wireless in
2-3 weeks.
2) I will also need the notebook for most of this time - I can't send it out
for repairs.
3) I don't want to get a USB or PC Card wireless adaptor since I will
occasionally use FreeBSD and/or Linux, and I've yet to have any luck getting
wireless set up in either. And since I use FreeBSD a lot more than Linux,
getting it to work in just Linux won't help me a lot.
4) I went for a DD-WRT'ed router because it was about $50 cheaper than going
for an actual bridge.

Anyway, as I stated, I'll be looking at the TOS to verify that what I want
to do won't violate it.

Thanks
-Jim Stapleton