[opensource] DD-WRT bridge and OSU wireless

Jude DuPart dupart.3 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 22 13:22:57 EST 2010

I work for OIT and I can safely say that OSUwireless doesn't support
router's acting as a wireless bridge. I'm not sure the deeper methods of
tracking and tracing it, but If caught it would likely result in a wireless
suspension.

But if you are setting one up, the advice already given is true. It would
require WPA enterprise to authenticate, and would also have to pass
authentication versus the certificate (Equifax secure Authority). Not sure
if such is possible on a router, but It's worth a try I suppose. usually on
the first incident, the suspension is temporary.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Alek Rollyson <arollyson at gmail.com> wrote:

> DD-WRT doesn't support bridging WPA Enterprise in any stock version, only
> WPA Personal.  There have been some WPA_supplicant hacks that I have seen
> sparse reports of but most seem to end in failure.  The problem is it'll be
> tough to truely integrate this sort of thing into the web interface, or
> really the firmware at all, if you wanted something like that unless you
> wait for the devs to do it themselves.  You can't get the full source code
> from anywhere easy to find because they will only give out source that is
> crippled and missing major parts, the web interface especially, so it'll be
> tough to do any sort of your own hacking.  DD-WRT has been heading down a
> bad road as of late, basically violating GPL left and right. I would suggest
> checking out Tomato.
>

> ----
> Alek Rollyson
>

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM, S James S Stapleton <
> stapleton.41 at osu.edu> wrote:
>
>>  I don't have any experience with dd-wrt on or off the osu wireless
>>> network, but I can say that you're going to need WPA in enterprise
>>> mode, not personal, to get on osuwireless. Your router is asking you
>>> for the key, because in personal mode the key is pre-shared.
>>>

>> Thanks, When I have the mode set to "client" or "client bridge", only
>> "WEP" and the "WPA Personal ..." options are available, I wonder if that's
>> due to my router only being able to handle the micro firmware. I guess it's
>> time to do more digging.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> -Jim Stapleton

Thanks,