[opensource] DD-WRT bridge and OSU wireless

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Mon Feb 22 15:21:27 EST 2010

You can either have it sent back (presumably under warranty), get a new
wireless card on your own, or try bridging an osuwireless connection
with a router or something. What you choose to do is your choice, and
your choice alone. Whichever you choose will have its advantages and
disadvantages.

Keep in mind though, if you try to bridge your connection you will be
taking a risk. It's even worse now because I guarantee there are people
from OIT reading this debate, so they'll expect you to bridge
connections knowing it's not ok. If they aren't listening, they can also
see permanent archives of our communications online. Whether or not you
propose doing this is your business, but it is not representative of the
Open Source Club nor is it supported by us.

Personally, if I were you I'd just look for network cables to plug my
computer into. Different departments have different policies about
plugging in laptops, so that's something else to be aware of. I should
note here please do NOT try this in our office as the CS&E department
will disconnect the port as soon as someone tries that. There are other
departments who also have brain spasms about stuff like that, so just
something to keep in mind...

I know it sucks to be in this bind. I've been there myself, without a
computer for a few days (I get the in-home service warranty for that
reason). It also really sucks when your wireless breaks, especially
since they pretty much want you only using osuwireless for network
connections everywhere. May as well be a dead laptop when that happens.
Good luck with whichever route you take.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University
Website Administrator