[opensource] DD-WRT bridge and OSU wireless

Richard Hornsby me at rhornsby.org
Mon Feb 22 20:52:43 EST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 20:21 , Jude DuPart wrote:

> If not a Minipci card, USB is the easiest route to take. Occasionally I work in the Buckeyebar in the Thompson Library and have seen, on a few occurrences, the same issue with the hardwired switch not affecting the status of the wifi.  Have you looked in to seeing if it is a driver issue or a problem with the switch, and if it is a switch problem, I'd imagine its something easily remedied.
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Paul Betts <paul at paulbetts.org> wrote:
> A Mini-PCI wifi card is pretty cheap on Ebay and is usually user-
> replaceable

A few years ago, I picked up a cheapy OEM Winbook-brand minipci -G card at Microcenter and stuck it in my dell inspiron to replace the B card, which couldn't do WPA.  Worked great.  Took a little bit to get it onto OSUWireless in Linux, but it wasn't too bad.  It was a few years ago, but I did a howto write up for it.  Some of the links/references are probably dead, but it might be a jumping off point:

http://flyovercountry.org/?p=27

Identifying your card's chipset, and using ndiswrapper were the keys as I recall.

-rj