[opensource] Re: [opensource-announce] Wifi Hacking Reminder!! [1/7/2009]

anonymous at opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu anonymous at opensource.cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Jan 7 13:19:22 EST 2010

It really depends on what the judges rule. If the judge cannot understand
technology, then he cannot understand what laws (if any) are violated. Often
when the law appears to indicate one thing a judge will rule something
completely different and a precedent will be set.

Additionally I would like to point out that passively sniffing a network -
that is listening to 2 or more computers communicating with each other
without (significantly) modifying hardware - is not the same as accessing the
network. So if I spy on someone's connection it falls more under that fifth
degree misdemeanor than the federal law because I did not access the victim's
network.