[opensource] Proposal for human language teaching web application

Timothy Normand Miller millerti at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jan 20 18:37:59 EST 2010

On Jan 20, 2010, at 4:13 PM, monnand wrote:

> Matthew Wilson wrote:
>> This would be a great project for a "software engineering" class.
>> Maybe some prof in a computer science department could have his
>> students work on this.
>>

> As I know, Eric Fosler-Lussier did some work about speech recognition (for bi-linguistic learner?). I'm not quite sure

Well, if he didn't, he surely knows someone in Linguistics who does.  Also, although this project is more engineering and education than science, if we can use it in some way for research that leads to publication, all the better.

>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Timothy Normand Miller
>> <millerti at cse.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I have an idea for an open source web site/application that people can use to learn human languages.  I was wondering if anyone in the club would find it interesting to work on.  I know plenty of Linguistics, so mostly what I need is help with the web programming.
>>>
>>> Here's a draft design doc:
>>>
>>> http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aavu_nMOlv7NZDNzZmIyc182Z2o3dHFzZGs&hl=en
>>>

>>> Timothy Normand Miller
>>> millerti at cse.ohio-state.edu
>>> http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti
>>>
> By the way, I'm interested in this project and I think we are in the same lab, right Tim? We could talk about this if you have time.

I changed specialization from AI to computer architecture, so probably not.  But let me know when and where, and I'll stop by and we can talk!