[opensource] Google Voice AJAX/POST

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Fri Jul 23 19:38:15 EDT 2010

Does anyone have experience with submitting forms using POST data?

A few months ago I subscribed to Google Voice, and it turns out they
provide a widget you can place on your web pages such that a user can
enter their name and phone number to "call" you, but never actually get
your phone number (even your Google number). I thought it seemed pretty
neat, except that the widget is a Flash object, and is not customizable
in the least bit.

A Google search turned up an article
<http://razvangavril.com/web-development/custom-google-voice-widget/>
detailing how the applet does nothing more than make a POST request,
which you can do yourself with some HTML forms. He (correctly) suggested
that you submit the data using AJAX instead of a regular submit button,
because otherwise the user will be redirected to a page that says
"ok=true", as I found myself.

Problem is, I can't figure out how to properly form the POST request. My
script is at http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/%7Eswaneybr/js/googlevoice.js
and according to Firebug it goes all the way through without errors, and
sends the POST request, but lists an empty response from Google. If I
use the forms alone, with a submit button and no javascript, the call
goes through and the user is redirected to a page that says ok=true, so
I know it works, but using the AJAX method nothing happens. I think I
might be forming the POST request wrong, but having never personally
dealt with POST before today I have no idea what it is supposed to look
like. Wireshark is out of the question because Google (wisely) uses SSL.

My request looks like
buttonId=LOTS_OF_HEX_HERE&callerNumber=PHONE_NUMBER&name=SOMEBODY'S_NAME&showCallerNumber=1
but that's obviously not working. Could somebody instruct me on how to
form a proper POST string to pass into ajaxRequest.send(POSTrequest);?

--
Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at