[opensource] Google Voice AJAX/POST

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Fri Jul 23 21:22:41 EDT 2010

So, the question is, what would a correctly-formated POST request look like?

Thanks Paul, I'll see if I can find one of those. I think the script I
have can work, but I need an example of proper POST data to compare with
what I have. It looks like most of the one's I'm finding in Google are
using the included Flash embed, which is the opposite of what I want,
but I suppose there is bound to be one using AJAX somewhere...

On 07/23/2010 07:47 PM, Shaun Brady wrote:
> When you construct a URL it's actually GET data.  You have to put them
> (your POST variables) in to the HTTP header.  This is just another
> step closer, as I'm not sure exactly how to convince Javascript to do
> this.  I'm 99% you can control whether the request is via GET or POST,
> but how to modify the POST data, that I'm not sure of.
>
> SB
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Brian Swaney
> <swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have experience with submitting forms using POST data?
>>
>> A few months ago I subscribed to Google Voice, and it turns out they provide
>> a widget you can place on your web pages such that a user can enter their
>> name and phone number to "call" you, but never actually get your phone
>> number (even your Google number). I thought it seemed pretty neat, except
>> that the widget is a Flash object, and is not customizable in the least bit.
>>
>> A Google search turned up an article
>> <http://razvangavril.com/web-development/custom-google-voice-widget/>
>> detailing how the applet does nothing more than make a POST request, which
>> you can do yourself with some HTML forms. He (correctly) suggested that you
>> submit the data using AJAX instead of a regular submit button, because
>> otherwise the user will be redirected to a page that says "ok=true", as I
>> found myself.
>>
>> Problem is, I can't figure out how to properly form the POST request. My
>> script is at http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/%7Eswaneybr/js/googlevoice.js and
>> according to Firebug it goes all the way through without errors, and sends
>> the POST request, but lists an empty response from Google. If I use the
>> forms alone, with a submit button and no javascript, the call goes through
>> and the user is redirected to a page that says ok=true, so I know it works,
>> but using the AJAX method nothing happens. I think I might be forming the
>> POST request wrong, but having never personally dealt with POST before today
>> I have no idea what it is supposed to look like. Wireshark is out of the
>> question because Google (wisely) uses SSL.
>>
>> My request looks like
>> buttonId=LOTS_OF_HEX_HERE&callerNumber=PHONE_NUMBER&name=SOMEBODY'S_NAME&showCallerNumber=1
>> but that's obviously not working. Could somebody instruct me on how to form
>> a proper POST string to pass into ajaxRequest.send(POSTrequest);?
>>
>> --
>> Brian Swaney
>> Open Source Club at
>> Ohio State University