[opensource] Wireless Printing

Timothy Normand Miller millerti at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Mar 17 10:04:01 EDT 2010

Who is in charge of the printers there?  OIT?  Has anyone called them and asked for help?

Since they don't have on-line Linux instructions, this would imply that they are not fully prepared for this scenario.  However, there are people on the IT staff who can help, and you're going to have to get your help from them.  Since they're not prepared, they have to actually take time from other work to find a solution to the problem, which is going to be very inconvenient for them.  Thus, you must employ your best social skills.  :)  Seriously, I know you feel that they've left out Linux users, but the fact is, we're a vocal minority.  When asking for help, you're begging, not demanding.  And they're being most gracious just to talk to you.  Many many times, I've seen an entitled attitude get people bumped to the end of the queue.  On the other hand, those who recognize that IT admins are busy people and that the request is an imposition actually get pushed to the head of the queue.  Get pushy, and this will take weeks.  Treat the IT staff like royalty, and this problem will take 48 hours to resolve, tops.