[opensource] Wireless Printing

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Wed Mar 17 10:44:34 EDT 2010

Like I said in my first e-mail:
> I JUST asked Uniprint last night for the printer settings. There is an
> article on getting Pharos printing to work at a different school here:
> http://www.byui.edu/wireless/linuxprint.htm
the printers are managed by Uniprint. I think all we need is a list of
settings for printers around campus, not a custom installer for each
distribution or shell script to figure everything out for us.

It took them a while to include Mac support on their website. In this
case, they (still) don't support Windows 7 either. However, they never
mentioned the only problem (at least that I had) is you have to
right-click and "Run as administrator" to get it to work properly. The
installer doesn't handle bad permissions very well. Once I had write
access denied to Program Files and Windows but it continued to set the
registry keys so whenever I re-ran it the installer thought Pharos was
already installed. I had to open regedit to clean up the mess before I
was able to try again.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University