[opensource] Wireless Printing

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Wed Mar 17 17:35:58 EDT 2010

I could tell you now that Popup.pkg is for what is known as the Pharos
Popups Client, which is the (service) component that asks for
information such as a username, password, and a description to display
in the printer's corresponding release station. I would have expected
that to be downloaded when you run the installer, rather than bundled
within. That's how the Windows version works anyway. The username is
anything you want it to display as, and the password is what you enter
in addition to scanning your BuckID when you try to print. Find a screen
clipping of what the popup thingy supposed to do attached. Incidentally,
Blink's anti-malware component doesn't like it very much
<http://tinyurl.com/yfbo93c>, but even after a boot-time deletion Pharos
printing seems to work.

Matt, would you mind sharing what you've found so far? I have not yet
heard anything from Uniprint. One more note about the binaries: they
actually download all the drivers from a repository at
http://uniprint.osu.edu/printman/osuprintmap/wireless/ to %WinDir%\TEMP\
at least in the Windows installer. I've never run the Mac version so I
wouldn't know.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University