[opensource] Using WINE with MacPorts (Applications in Chemistry)

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Wed May 5 13:15:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:39, <still.23 at osu.edu> wrote:

> ChemDraw is a program from CambridgeSoft for Mac OS X and Windows. The
> Windows version allows one to draw a structure, cut and paste it into a Word
> document, and then if needed, edit the structure directly in Word. For some
> reason, the Mac OS version doesn't allow these critical functions, only
> letting users draw structures, and paste them in Pages/Word as .gif files;
> often distorted in scale and missing atoms.

Not that it helps, but the reason you can't do this on the Mac is because
Microsoft removed Visual Basic for Applications from MacOS X Office.  It
will be back in the next version and you won't be living in the stone age
anymore (not really sure what they were thinking in removing it).

> My solution has been, get a Windows virtual machine (VMs) to do my chemical
> editing. However, this is time consuming and Microsoft updates are annoying.
> Even with a reasonably powerful computer (4GB RAM, Core 2 or Quad processor,
> etc.) VMs are a bit clumsy loading, never really as fast as a native OS.

Modern virtualization engines on modern processors should allow very close
to on-the-metal performance for the guest operating system (except graphics,
although VMWare has pretty good graphics drivers).  If you're experiencing
sub-par performance in your VM guests, you might have the VT-x instruction
set disabled in your CPU, or possibly your CPU is old enough that it doesn't
have it.

Obviously if WINE works for you, that's great, but you might want to make
sure your VM setup is optimal.

--
Nick