[opensource] Current ResNET Outage

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Thu Apr 28 00:01:07 EDT 2011

This type of issue should generally be brought to the appropriate OSU
IT department. Also, since you posted anonymously we can't really help
you get in touch with the right people. Since this is a ResNet issue,
you would call Student Life IT at 292-5700, but I think their lines
are down at the moment because of too many people calling. According
to the ResNet staff, the authentication servers for Cisco Clean Access
(the login program they use) is down, and administrators are working
on it. They told me to "try again in 30 minutes" a few hours ago. This
outage affects all OSU dorms, so if you're not logged in already you
won't be able to, and if your login expires in a few hours then you're
out of luck. Anybody not logged in basically has no internet access
until the issue is resolved.

I was lucky enough to have signed on just a couple hours before my
suitemates started pounding my door in asking if I could get online.
Back in the day, sessions used to last between several days and a
week, but now they supposedly last 24 hours, and in practice only a
few hours. That, and it will not disconnect until you are in the
middle of downloading something or playing a game, as opposed to right
when you connect, as if it were intended to annoy you.

Does anybody know why they use this system? It's hard to imagine a lot
of people piggybacking osuwireless or wired connections from the
dorms, and if they are they probably have a good reason like a visitor
accompanied by someone living here who wants to get online (and the
student will probably ignore the acceptable use policy and sign them
in anyway). The only thing that comes to mind for me is having OSU
usernames readily available for the RIAA/MPAA whenever they bring
their ex parte blanket subpoenas.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University