[opensource] Who to talk to about integrating with OSU web auth?

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Fri Jun 10 13:57:25 EDT 2011

As our website administrator, I believe I can speak authoritatively
about what was involved in hooking OSU's central web authentication
service, Shibboleth. The first step is actually installing the
Shibboleth daemon, then adding the appropriate configuration to the
Apache configuration, where it acts something like a module. Once you
believe it is running, you will need to register your site with OIT, as
per the documentation at
https://webauth.service.ohio-state.edu/~shibboleth .

For Drupal, which you appear to be running, you do have to install a
Shibboleth module from drupal.org/project/shib_auth (I think we might be
running a custom build right now). This module by itself cannot hook the
authentication, but rather acts as a bridge between Drupal and the
daemon. Once the module is installed and Shibboleth is running the rest
is usually pretty straightforward, but it can take a while to figure it
out or set it up the first time. Important note: our setup is designed
to be as open as possible, where you don't have to be affiliated with
OSU or anything to use it. This might not be what you want, and if you
don't then you'll need to take some extra steps to keep users from
editing their accounts or else they might be able to log in directly
without Shibboleth. If you're open to the community like us, or you have
the permissions set such that it doesn't matter if they log in, then
this is probably not an issue for you. I can't remember where this was
documented right now.

Primarily for future administrators, but also to help out other people
running Drupal and Shibboleth, our specific setup is documented at
opensource.osu.edu/documentation/shibboleth . Step 5 will probably vary
for you, since you might be dealing with a different set of user
information, and we specifically asked for different fields that people
don't normally use.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University