[opensource] Mailing list vs contact form

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Fri Mar 4 17:05:44 EST 2011

Here is the problem:

We're pretty hesitant to embed some remote scripts, for the privacy
and security of our users. The site is, I believe, pretty secure
despite its openness, and we'd pretty much lose all that security once
we link to someone else's script we don't control. I am pretty sure
some kind of embedded chat client would require that, but we could
always provide a link to the IRC page (as much as I hate IRC).

If we point the form to the mailing list, as it is now, then users
will get their messages bounced (and discarded). If we fix it to
accept their messages, then not only will they not get a reply (not
being registered on the mailing list), but it will open our mailing
list to an onslaught of spam. You wouldn't believe how many messages
opensource-owner at cse gets, and there is a reason messages from
unregistered users are discarded. In order for this to work, we'd have
to somehow subscribe everyone who selected the mailing list option,
which might annoy people who don't realize it's happening. If we made
some kind of script that submitted users' messages to the mailing
list, they would be posting anonymously so we could never give them a
response.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University
Website Administrator

On 3/4/11 2:08 PM, Matt Meinwald wrote:
> It is definitely possible to have a dropdown entry on the contact form that
> sends to the mailing list if that is desired, perhaps not directly through
> drupal, but I'm sure we could make it work. It would go to the moderated
> account, so would not cause spam (except to the moderators of course :)
>
> As far as the category descriptions, perhaps that page should *start* with
> something mentioning the mailing list and IRC instead of listing it last or
> maybe even have a contact page that is separate from the contact form,
i.e. have
> no direct link to the contact form on the website except within the
"Contact Us"
> page.
>
> -Matt Meinwald
>
> On 03/04/2011 01:43 PM, Michael Yanovich wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I think this is a great idea. We do almost always have someone active
>> during all parts of the day, including in the middle of the night.
>>
>> Setting up an embedded web-client of freenode isn't very difficult:
>> http://yanovich.net/freenode.php It works pretty good with the overall
>> theme of my website.
>>
>> However, to further address Brian's points. I think by default
>> information sent through the contact form should be posted to the
>> mailing list, and the user has to specifically select to opt-out. I
>> think explaining that would help alleviate the problem we have now.
>>
>> Michael Yanovich
>>
>> On 03/04/2011 01:21 PM, Dietz, Peter M. wrote:
>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> You might want to look at embedding a web-irc client into your
contact us page. The good news in your case is that you have an active
IRC, with operators standing by almost all hours of the day.