[opensource] Seeking experienced Linux administrator as hourly consultant

Steve VanSlyck s.vanslyck at spamcop.net
Mon May 2 17:11:04 EDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Warner Moore <wmoore at 2co.com>
To: "colug-jobs at colug.net" <colug-jobs at colug.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 16:50:32 -0400
Subject: [colug-jobs] Seeking experienced Linux administrator as hourly
consultant

> 	Please see the job description below.  I am seeking a strong candidate
and will not seriously consider candidates that cannot perform at the
level identified.

> Systems Administrator (Linux Consultant)
> We are looking for a consultant with strong experience in Open Source
technologies.  We expect a minimum of five years of strong Linux
(RHEL/CentOS) experience required with a focus on Internet technologies.

> Aware of best practices, system monitoring, high availability, disaster
recovery techniques, and all levels of systems administration skills.  A
dedicated person serious about their career with attention to detail and
consistent follow-through.

> Must be able to understand existing infrastructure standards quickly and
apply them consistently without deviation throughout buildout.  Should
understand expectations within well-run IT department with minimal
supervision.

> The choosen systems administrator will be responsible for establishing
infrastructure in a new data center, which will be built using existing
standards and architecture with minor variations to accommodate multiple
physically diverse sites.

> Detailed Responsibilities
>
> *	Responsible for building LAMP (PERL and PHP) and Java (Jboss) Web
servers using for internally developed applications using established
build standards.
> *	Understands the operation of PHP and mod_perl applications, able to
configure and administrate the infrastructure and technologies to support
these development platforms.
> *	Able to utilize SQUID as a transparent proxy using rewrites and caching
for public facing Web application.
> *	Proven success implementing LVS, ldirectord, heartbeat, and other Linux
high availability software.
> *	Successfully implemented netfilter firewalls using iptables and
Shorewall or equivilant front-end technologies.
> *	Created customized monitoring solutions using SNMP, PERL, bash, and
Nagios to satisfy detailed monitored requirements that are supported
using out of box technologies.
> *	Implemented security standards for server infrastructure and
understands the implementation of security scanners (OpenVAS) and host
based IDS (AIDE) as well as network based IDS (snort).
> *	Awareness of PCI  DSS Level 1 and the implications surrounding the
standard is desireable.
> *	Experienced with BASH and PERL scripting, able to understand and
operate customized build scripts.