[opensource] Persistent ResNET Login

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Fri May 13 13:52:12 EDT 2011

I think for this particular application we only need 1 CA cert, unless
ResNet uses a different one for each portal for some reason. However, I
believe the root certificates are in /etc/ssl/certs/ (note: there are a
lot there, which probably aren't all very trustworthy).

There is no reason for javascript here because the HTTP status code is
at a protocol level and happens long before you would parse any scripts
on the client side. It's not like your script is running the javascript;
all we'd need is a blank page with a status code. Seriously though,
running your own server to receive a bunch of requests from this script
is synonymous  to having it "phone home". You'd be in a position to
follow around everyone who uses it if actually you manage to keep the
site up. I don't think we support spyware.

We usually have things members did hosted on our website, for the sake
of perpetuity (e.g. somebody doesn't remove them a few years later when
we're re-organizing our history). When you believe it's in a state that
is ready to be published (like the security concern is fixed), let me
know and I'll attach it to the main thread.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University
Website Administrator