[opensource] Amateur Radio

Sean Whalen sean at seanpwhalen.com
Thu Aug 9 21:07:44 EDT 2012

Michael,

I recently received my technician license, and I would love to help out.
I have neither the knowledge nor the finances to set up my own proper
station. the club I'm currently affiliated with has many members more
than twice my age, and  far more experience than I; many of their
conversations are over my head.  I would gladly help new hams get their
licenses, and learn along the way.

I have tried unsuccessfully to reach the W8LT repeater from Reynoldsburg
with my 5 watt HT. Is it still operational?

Brian,

There are many well written open source applications for hams.
Unfortunately almost all package distributions are very out of date. I
have started planning a project on Source Forge called Field OS
(https://sourceforge.net/p/fieldos/) to remedy this. I plan to use the
SUSE build service to build up-to-date packages for many distributions.
Once that is set up, I will use SUSE studio to build a Live CD for hams
in the field.

If anyone is interested in helping, please let me know.

73 de Sean Whalen KD8RIH