[opensource] Amateur Radio

Andy Whitacre awhitacre at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:51:41 EDT 2012

Sean,

Most ham clubs in Central Ohio (well, most ham clubs, period) are just
as you describe: older members, many of whom don't have much interest
in more modern technology like software defined radio and digital
voice communications.  The W8LT club may be a good fit for you; we
have younger members and most everyone is interested in using advanced
technology.  If you are interested, you are welcome to come to one of
our meetings.  Our meetings are typically the 2nd and 4th Mondays, so
the first one of the school year should be the 27th of August.  We
also have a mailing list; if you want to join just shoot me an email
directly.

The W8LT repeater is operational, but it covers poorly to the east.
Reynoldsburg is probably too far for a 5W handheld.  On the topic of
repeater coverage, one project I've been playing with is called
AllStar (https://allstarlink.org/) and involves using the open source
Asterisk VOIP application to link ham radio systems, allowing users to
create networks of repeaters and/or "hotspot" style simplex nodes.
One of my goals is to have this connectivity on the W8LT repeater at
some point so that other nodes can link to it.

73,
Andy K8ARW