[opensource] Amateur Radio

Michael Yanovich yanovich.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 10 18:15:59 EDT 2012

I'm really glad to see there is a good amount of interest in this and
I'm also glad to see some overlap among the Amateur Radio Club and the
Open Source Club.

I encourage those who are interested in amateur radio to attended the
Amateur Radio Club's meetings. I plan on going to their first meeting
when classes start back up. I discovered the Amateur Radio Club at OSU
during the summer.

As far as getting together to study and have people get their licenses
any and all help is greatly appreciated. I was thinking of maybe setting
up a time during the week or even the weekend during the semester to get
together and go over electricity and magnetism along with the rules and
regulations. Would this be something people would want to do during the
week or weekend? and which nights would be best for those who would like
to attend?

I'm thinking about having it as a weekly or maybe twice a week if there
is enough interest at the Thompson Library on campus in one of the group
rooms.

For those interested in helping out I would recommend coming to one of
our ham radio meetups once we have established a firm re-occurring time
and date.

I originally studied by myself using ARRL's Technician book they sell
and thought the book was very helpful. I don't think everyone will need
it if they don't want to buy it. Though it is also available at the
Columbus Public Library (though they have several different editions).

There has been some talk in the IRC room to build some software for
studying ham radio into 'jenni' (an IRC bot that hangs out in the
channel). However, there hasn't been much development on that and so far
jenni only does call sign lookup and translating between English and CW
(morse code).

I've picked up the W8LT repeater a couple of times and have made a few
CQ calls on it, but it seems the activity on it is rather small compared
to the COARES and other club repeaters (non university clubs).

As far as equipment, you can get started with inexpensive handhelds for
under $100 and go crazy and find stuff that's up past $1000 if you want
something super fancy. The hobby can be as expensive or inexpensive as
you want it to be. In fact, there is someone from the IRC channel that
is interested in building their own ham radio just for CW.

Also, I'm licensed as well as a technician (slowly studying for my
General). My call sign is KD8RHR.

If many of these paragraphs seem out of order, I apologize as I didn't
write each paragraph in the order they are presented.