[opensource] Amateur Radio Technician Study Group / Classes

Michael Yanovich yanovich.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 29 01:18:43 EDT 2012

After the last e-mail I sent out asking for interest in a amateur radio
study group, I'm excited to say that I received several responses of
many curious in obtaining their license.

I'm starting a study group for those who want to get together and study
and learn about basic E&M and the rules and regulations for the
Technician Exam. The Technician Exam is the first exam for amateur
radio. It allows you to broadcast on the VHF and UHF frequencies in the
amateur radio bands.

This will be every Monday in September at 7:00pm in Dreese Labs 266
starting on September 10th. Also I'm willing to do any studying after
the open source meetings on Thursday's.

The goal of these study groups will be to have those interested ready to
take the Technician Exam by September 29.

On September 29, 2012 at 10:00AM COLVET is holding free testing at the
Whetstone Library. COLVET asks you to pre-register by filling out this
form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFdMYm5FVkt1T3lIMHNUSEhxY2JRVmc6MQ#gid=0

For our study group session I would prefer if everyone bring a copy of
the latest question pool for the Technician Exam. A copy of the question
pool can be downloaded from here: http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=349
in a format you desire.

Also if you can't attend my meetups, don't worry, COLVET (Central Ohio
Laurel Volunteer Examiner Team) is holding a free class from 6:00PM to
9:00PM on the following dates:

Session 1) September 11, 2012: Whetstone Library @ 3909 N High
Street~Columbus, Ohio 43214
Topics: Intro to Amateur Radio, Commission Rule and Operating
Procedures, Repeater etiquette

Session 2) September 18, 2012 Karl Rd Library @ 5590 Karl Rd~Columbus,
Ohio 43229
Topics: Ohm's Law, Math, Radio Propagation

Session 3) September 26, 2012 Westerville Library @ 126 S. State
Street~Westerville, Ohio 43081
Topics: Safety, Antennas and Feed Lines

If you plan on going to COLVET's classes, please check their website.
Also they expect everyone to show up with the most recent question pool
for the Technician Exam (link above).

The flier for COLVET's classes and the exam,
http://colvet.org/files/Sept%20class.pdf

COLVET's website is http://colvet.org/

Hope to see you at the exam on September 29th!

--
Michael Yanovich