[opensource] Fwd: Biggest. Online. Protest. EVER.

Brian Swaney swaneybr at opensource.osu.edu
Wed Jan 18 02:21:18 EST 2012

Another question, and I believe it was raised in the Wikipedia debate,
do we want people to be able to "click through" the message? I don't
know exactly what their tentative plan is, but if this passes, people
won't have that opportunity, hence a "blackout".

What we have with the script is more of a simple "we interrupt this
web page to bring you an 'important' {political message}" and users
are quite trained to click through warning dialogs. With a complete
blackout, people see the message, get frustrated, read "why can't I
access this page" and start calling up their apathetic congress
critters. If it really resembles SOPA/PIPA, then it's inaccessible.
It's a nice script, but I tend to think we should just replace
everything with its contents instead of using this type of script so
people can exit the prompt. Instead, include some links to where they
can read more about the bills.

Brian Swaney
Open Source Club at
Ohio State University

> [...]