[opensource] Job Opportunity: Linux Systems Administration Intern at Nationwide

Patrick Shuff shuff.12 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 21 17:08:12 EDT 2012

Hello OpenSourcers!

I sent this email off back in October with a little note at the bottom
mentioning that we are looking for intern to join our team this summer
and...well...summer is fast approaching and we have started the
interviewing process!

To reiterate this is a paid full-time internship and you will be doing real
meaningful work on production systems.  Our team manages our entire Linux
environment and we do a lot of scripting (bash, python, some perl) and are
in a bash prompt pretty much all day (yay :) !).  We are looking for the
following qualities in our candidates:

   - Passionate about Linux and Open Source <http://www.gnu.org/s/emacs>
    Software
   - Comfortable in a bash shell
   - Familiarity with html/css/javascript
(css<http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/>
   /javascript <http://jquery.com/> frameworks a plus)
   - Python knowledge a plus (Django <https://www.djangoproject.com/> even
   better!)

We are not expecting you to be an expert in all of these areas, but we are
expecting you ask a lot of questions, learn some new things, and have fun.
 Even if you're familiar with a bash terminal, have done some web
development, but have never touched python -- it's ok.  This internship is
all about learning, and creating some pretty cool things!

The actual position will be split between Linux system administration and
web development.  We have a current project that we've been developing with
python + Django, and we are looking for someone to come in and help us take
it to the next level functionally and aesthetically. Ideally we'd like you
to come in here, learn about our environment, understand our vision for the
project/web application, and run with it.  That will be your baby for the
summer.  The other part will be learning how Linux works in a big
enterprise and to join in on some of our team's day-to-day operations.

Thank you for your time and if you are interested please send me your
resume as soon as possible!

Thanks,
Patrick Shuff