[opensource] new course: Philos 1337 - Computing Ethics

Owen King king.1084 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 21 02:32:57 EST 2013

Hi Open Source Club,

Philosophy 1337 is the Philosophy Dept's new course on computing ethics.
The course just received official approval this week.  And it will be
taught for the first time next semester.

(I taught a pilot version of the course last spring.  You may remember me
stopping by an Open Source Club meeting last fall to advertise it.)

The course will cover several topics that may be of interest to you.  We
will spend at least two weeks on issues related to intellectual property.
And we will be considering the ethics of different sorts of software
licensing.  Essays by Richard Stallman are among the course readings.

We'll also be spending a couple weeks talking about privacy issues.  I
think we will also have a chance to think about the ethics of DRM and
other anti-features.

Plus, the course might help you graduate:  The course satisfies the ethics
requirement in the College of Engineering.  It also counts as an A&S GE
"Cultures and Ideas" course.

I am attaching a flyer for the course.  Please feel free to forward, post,
or distribute it anywhere you think appropriate.

Please e-mail me if you would like more info or if you have any questions.

Owen

--
Owen C. King
Doctoral Candidate