[opensource] Fwd: Please protest the "Windows 8 Campus Tour"

Chris Wallace wallace.586 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 17 19:42:57 EDT 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Please protest the "Windows 8 Campus Tour"
Date: 	Thu, 17 Apr 2014 19:21:22 -0400
From: 	Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
To: 	Christopher Wallace <wallace.586 at osu.edu>

Dear Christopher,

Microsoft is running "Windows 8 Campus Tour" events at many US
universities. We're inviting free software supporters, associated with
the universities in question, to mount simple nondisruptive protests at
these events.

This kind of protest is easy to do. Just print copies of
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/malware-microsoft.html and
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html,
then stand near the entrance to the event and hand them out to those who
enter or pass by. If they ask you for more explanation of the issue,
please explain politely. If they are disputacious, you don't have to
argue with them, and we recommend not doing so; you can say, "We appear
to have a deep disagreement; see gnu.org for where we stand."

It is good to make a sign, especially a tall sign that can rest on the
floor leaning against a wall, but you don't need one. Use few words, and
big bold letters, so it is readable from a distance.

Protesting is more fun if two or more people protest together, but one
person can do it. If several want to participate, you could divide up
the time -- those two people for two hours tomorrow, those two for an
hour on Monday, etc.

The dates vary from university to university (see the list below), but
most of the events have already started. Many end tomorrow, but that
still offers time to act. Others continue through next week or even
later. Some events already ended, but we deleted them from the list below.

This is an opportunity to spread the word to people who have never heard
even a hint of ethical criticism of proprietary software such as Windows.

After your protest, please send mail info at fsf.org <mailto:info at fsf.org>
about how it went and photos if you are able to take them.

Richard Stallman
President

  Windows 8 Campus Tour Schedule

Saint Cloud State University 4/7-4/25
Arizona State University 4/7-4/18
University of California-Davis 4/14-5/2
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 4/7-4/18
University of California-Santa Barbara 4/14-4/25
California State University-East Bay 4/7-4/18
University of Mississippi (Ole Miss) 4/7-4/21
University of Louisiana 4/7-4/17
California State University - Sacramento 4/7-4/25
University of Nevada-Reno 4/7-4/18
North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State Univ 4/7-4/28
California State University-Fullerton 4/7-4/25
University of California-Irvine 4/14-5/2
University of North Carolina at Charlotte 4/7-4/25
San Diego State University 4/7-4/18
Central Michigan University 4/7-4/18
George Mason University 4/7-4/18
Metropolitan State University of Denver 4/7-4/18
University of Massachusetts - Boston 4/14-4/25
Auburn University 4/7-4/25
University of Cincinnati 4/7-4/18
San Francisco State University 4/7-4/25
The University of Montana 4/7-4/25
University of Kansas 4/7-4/25
Wright State University 4/7-4/25
Northwestern University 4/28-5/16
University of Miami 4/7-4/25
Youngstown State University 4/14-4/25
University of Pennsylvania 4/7-4/25
Clemson University 4/7-4/18
California State University-Long Beach 4/7-4/25
Cleveland State Univerisity 4/7-4/25
Illinois State University 4/7-4/29
James Madison University 4/7-4/22
Ohio University-Main Campus 4/7-4/25
Temple University 4/28-5/15
University of California-San Diego 4/28-5/15
University of Oregon 4/14-5/1
West Chester University of Pennsylvania 4/7-4/25
Northeastern Illinois University 4/7-4/25
University of Central Arkansas 4/14-4/18
Rhode Island College 4/7-4/25
CUNY College of Staten Island 4/7-5/6
Louisiana Tech University 4/28-5/16
Central Washington University 4/21-5/9
The George Washington University 4/7-4/25
University of Michigan-Flint 4/7-4/21
Bowling Green State University 4/7-4/25
Utah State University 3/31-4/18
Southeastern Louisiana University 4/7-4/18
University of Northern Colorado 4/7-4/25
Texas A&M University-Commerce 4/14-4/25
Lamar University 4/7-4/25
Sam Houston State University 4/7-4/25
Murray State University 4/21-5/2
State College of Florida: Manatee-Sarasota 4/14-4/25
New Mexico State University 4/7-4/25
University of South Alabama 4/7-4/25
Oregon State University 4/7-4/25
University of Northern Iowa 4/7-4/25
South Carolina State University 4/7-4/25
Columbia University In the City of New York 4/7-4/25
University of Virginia 4/14-4/25
Minnesota State University 4/16-4/24
Michigan State University 4/21-5/2
The University of Texas at Brownsville 4/7-5/2
University of Denver 4/7-4/25
University of Massachusetts-Lowell 4/7-4/18
The University of Texas at Dallas 4/7-4/25
University of Washington 4/14-4/25
University of North Florida 4/7-4/18
Wayne State University 4/7-4/18
Southern Connecticut State University 4/7-4/28
Mississippi State Universtiy 4/7-4/25
University of West Georgia 4/7-4/25
Georgetown University 4/7-4/15 & 4/23-4/25
Northern Illinois University 4/14-4/25
University at Buffalo 4/14-4/25
Anne Arundel Community College 4/7-4/17
Florida State College at Jacksonville 4/7-4/18
Oakland Community College 4/14-4/21
Monroe Community College 4/7-5/2
Salt Lake Community College 4/14-4/25

/You can view this post online at
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/please-protest-the-windows-8-campus-tour./

--

Follow us on GNU social <https://status.fsf.org/fsf> | Subscribe to our
blogs via RSS <https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS> | Join us as an associate

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

51 Franklin Street
Fifth Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
United States

Unsubscribe
<https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=129851&qid=7467281&h=cc3a6e8a408f4096>
from this mailing list.

Stop all email
<https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=129851&qid=7467281&h=cc3a6e8a408f4096>
from the Free Software Foundation, including Defective by Design, and
the Free Software Supporter newsletter.