[opensource] Fwd: [Osu-ctf] December 2nd -- Video Game Hacking

Chris Wallace cbwcjw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 09:54:59 EST 2014

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Osu-ctf] December 2nd -- Video Game Hacking
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 19:34:29 +0000
From: Toterhi, John V <TOTERHIJ at battelle.org>
To: osu-ctf at lists.osu.edu <osu-ctf at lists.osu.edu>

Hey everyone!

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Just a reminder that we'll be covering Video Game Hacking concepts at
our next meeting on December 2nd.  Please invite anyone you think might
be interested.

We're going to use HackSlashLoot (free demo at HackSlashLoot.com) as an
example target.  We'll cover direct memory modification, DLL injection,
what happens when a process is loading into memory, and we'll write a
basic trainer which will allow us to change our player's health.  But
why stop there?  We'll expand this example to hit our enemies for 21
Million damage (a modest increase from ~5 base damage), and teleport
around the map!

It should be a lot of fun, and also lead well into December 9th's talk
on x86 by example, where we'll get down and dirty in a debugger solving
some crackme binaries.

Here's what we'll be using on December 2nd, just in case you want to
download and install it before the meeting:
1. Visual Studio Express C++ (to compile our trainer)
2. CheatEngine 6.4 (for memory analysis, cheatengine.org)
3. Windows demo of HackSlashLoot (hackslashloot.com)

I'll have boilerplate code, final source code, pre-compiled binaries,
and everything we'll need for our project.  If you don't have experience
with C/C++, Visual Studio, or CheatEngine don't worry! That's kind of
the point anyway!  As usual, you can show up and participate or just
observe.  If you'd like to follow along and expand the example trainer,
please have a computer with Windows and Visual Studio Express C++
installed. A Windows VM will work great too.

If you have any questions, please ask.  I'll see you all on Hack Night! :)

John Toterhi
Cyber Computer Scientist
Cyber Innovations - Mission Focused Tools
Office: 614.424.3681 | Fax: 614.458.3681
toterhij at battelle.org<mailto:toterhij at battelle.org>