[opensource] Arduino XBEE question

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jan 16 15:53:38 EST 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014, Joyce, Ryan M. wrote:

> I have been trying to setup my two XBee pros for the past day and haven't gotten anywhere. I have the mini USB adapter board to connect it with my computer. Does anyone have any background with these?

XBee's run a self-organizing mesh network protocol stack,
using what sort of looks like 802.11 wireless networking (but
is a different sub-prococol) radio as a 'physical layer'

Between two connected units, the data stream looks like a
simple serial stream.  The connection can actually be more
than one to one, and there are sub-addressing capabilities

see generally this third-party site -- Digi (XBee is their
brand trademark) and some others being the primary suppliers:
	http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/

> Here is my problem:
> I have downloaded XCTU and tried to write the program to the XBee but it stops when you try to change the parameters and won't work.

This is heavily commented one way code (one sender to one
receiver, with no curcuit 'turn-around' logic)
	http://www.faludi.com/itp_coursework/meshnetworking/XBee/XBee_example.html

> Does anyone have an XBee or the adapters that I could try to
> make sure I'm not having a hardware issue? I've tried it on
> two different computers now.

There are maximum voltage limits on the little devices, so I
suppose it is possible one could be burned out with an
inadvertent 'wiring up' error
	http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/zigbee-rf-modules/

and as I recall they have 'closer' pin spacing than the 10 per
inch which the standard nylon breadboarding strip uses

Here in town, MicroCenter shows an interesting 'carrier' that
will drop on top of an Arduino for cheap:
	http://www.microcenter.com/product/401430/Xbee_Shield_for_Arduino_Board_without_RF_Module

to get rid of physical layer issues ... three shown in stock

and I assume, but I cannot coax their search interface to see
about the radio units

-- Russ herrold