[opensource] 15 years

Haninger, Andrew S. haninger.3 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 9 22:28:45 EST 2015

It's hard to believe that it was 15 years ago that my Engineering 181 TA mentioned to me that there was an opensource club giving away Linux CDs on the first floor of Hitchcock, or maybe it was Dreese? If I remember correctly, it was around February 17th, when Windows 2000 was released.

He probably mentioned it since I had asked him about using Octave to do my Matlab classwork from home. It worked, sort of, but no doubt it's easier today than it was then.

Back when Netscape was still putting out 4.x releases of it's Browser/Mail/News suite and IE 4 was hot stuff. The Phoenix browser (later to become Firebird and then Firefox) didn't exist yet. My how far it's come!

I definitely wasn't one of the very first members, but I guess I was there fairly close to the beginning. Anyone else from back then still lurking the list?

Andy